Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Leaving Her Mark



I didn't originally set out to become a play-by-play broadcaster so I could meet interesting and influential people. I didn't intend to do it for any reason other than serving my own self-interests. I desired a career where I attended ballgames for free, a career where I had more fun than the next guy, and a career where I never had to work a day in my life. While I've definitely achieved all those dreams of my younger days, my reasons for calling games have certainly evolved. One of those reasons is what you see expressed in the photo above from the new women's basketball coach at the University of South Dakota.

My path intersected with Amy Williams' journey back in the fall of 2007.  Simply put...it was chance, luck, and circumstance that landed me as the play-by-play voice of RSU Basketball. I never envisioned how rewarding personal relationships with the coaches, players, and their parents would become as a game caller. There was a time in my life when I was quite introverted, but my chosen profession has definitely balanced my equilibrium a little, even though I wouldn't necessarily call myself an extrovert now. It's people like Amy who make my job easier. For me, Amy was always approachable. She also flashed that winning smile when I greeted her before recording our pre-game interviews, or when I hopped on the travel bus. Don't take me wrong, though. When the ball was tipped in her 5 years at Rogers State, she was as tenacious and gritty as I've ever seen from a head coach. It's the juxtaposition about her that I liked so much. I'll remember that most, but I'll also remember the brief moments we spent discussing our children. She has two wonderful daughters. I'll miss seeing them sprint across the Claremore Expo floor during pre-game warmups or in timeouts. I'll also miss her because I had the privilege of working with her husband Lloyd. Those two drew up out-of-bounds plays like nobody's business in their coaching days at RSU.

So, it is with sadness that another chapter in RSU Basketball history is written. Amy made back-to-back national tournament appearances, including reaching the final 8 this past March. She is so very deserving of this opportunity at the NCAA Division 1 level, plus it's in her home state. I really view myself as a pawn when it comes to the basketball programs in Claremore, but I cherish the time spent and memories made with great people like Amy. She also takes with her the best RSU internet listener on the planet, her father Tim. Maybe, he'll tune in every now and again from up in the Dakotas just to check if Bontrager is his same old surly self. We'll miss you Williams' family, best of luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment